Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Harmony

I'm sure there are few of us who have never experienced a loathing of a stranger. Maybe it's something about their face or their smell or the fact that they smoke, or they're bad parents or whatever it is... The fact is that we make judgments from time to time, randomly and unprovoked. But I had a far more interesting experience recently.

I met a girl who I really could not bring myself to like, despite the fact that she was very pretty, nice enough.. On the surface there was nothing to dislike. And yet, her very presence made my skin crawl. How? Why?

I found myself later describing the experience to my man. And as I did, the words fell out of me. I used a metaphor to describe it. That it was like I was one note and she was another - and we just didn't... Sing together.

I later thought more about this odd metaphor and the implications if what I had said were true.

What if.

What if that energy coursing through our veins (the stuff some call Chi) also carries a tune with it - a tune that vibrates away from us and around us - and our experience of meeting new people, going to new places is affected by this force field of sound? We're attracted to people and places that sing to us. We're likewise repelled by those whose notes don't gel with ours.

Could this extend even to a whole country carrying a note or perhaps a chord? What if the U.S. is a C chord and Iraq is a Dflat - there would always be tension there... or dissonance to use the musical term.

Could there be real truth to the notion of living in harmony with others?

Maybe it even extends to our love lives - and we're like those Happy Feet penguins - picking our mates by finding the one penguin whose 'heart song' matches ours. Aww...

Okay, but all animated sentimentalities aside...

I just think there might be something to it - my little theory. After all, lots of unexpected things have sounds... Like the Earth for instance.

And if we were.. "musical" then our lives might be subject to the laws of musical theory, namely: rhythm, harmony, melody, structure, and texture.

In time I might find some supporting science - but in the meantime... I just like the challenge of trying on new thoughts like this for size.

No comments: