Monday, July 30, 2007

The Secret


I'm curious how many of you have investigated the secret.. And I ask with a mix of amused curiosity and genuine interest in the whole kerfuffle.

For those of you unfamiliar with The Secret's marketing blitz, consider yourself a precious few. What with all of Oprah's dozen endorsements and best-selling books, blockbuster movie, etc. For a while it seemed to be the book/movie/concept on the tip of everyone's tongue.

Like the Celestine Prophecy and He's Just Not Into You - this is a book/concept that might have truly opened some eyes - and prompted an exaggerated yawn from others. Because in the end, it's just common sense.

But if you've avoided all the hype and haven't seen the movie or read the book, let me save you the suspense. It's not a new concept. It's not even "a secret" - it's been around for eons. It's in fact the simplest thing in the world. It's the notion that your thoughts produce your reality.

There. That's all there is. If you constantly whine about being broke - you'll continue to rack up debt. If you believe yourself to be unloveable, you'll not manage to attract a new lover.

Duh.

But... I do have to say that it was a nice little reminder and a kick in the pants at a good time in my life - it's time to stop being a victim. Full stop.

Rather than fret about the lacks I experience - I have to focus on what I would like to occur. But there's a trick to it - you can't focus on what you DON'T want, because you're still attracting it into your life (ie. 'I DON'T want to be alone anymore' - still places emphasis on attracting more 'alone' into your life... A better phrasing would be 'I would like to be in a partnership/meet someone new/ etc.).

It's the law of attraction - and apparently the phrasing counts...

The movie/book goes a tad too far, I feel, in urging people to focus on wealth. Because yeah, sure, we all want to win the lottery and eliminate our debt. But that's our greatest wish of all? Hogwash.

I'm more with my friend Wayne Dyer on this one: We should all stop focusing on winning the lottery and start focusing on the blessings we have around us. We could think about the different kinds of wealth we have, wealth of love, or friends, whatever we already have that we have forgotten about while we've been focusing on what we don't have. THAT will increase our wealth - more than waiting for our numbers to come in.

But like anything else - I think the key is patience. Try to think positively and then wait. Good things come to those who wait, right?

But I'm curious - has anyone else been using "The Secret"? I would love to hear how or if it's working for you.

No comments: