Thursday, May 22, 2008

Finding Purpose

Lately, there's been a lot of chatter in my brain about finding something meaningful to do with my time and my life. It's all about giving back.

But what to give? Every time I think of something, a countering voice says who are you to do that, teach that, heal that. And I'm having a constant argument with myself that experience has nothing to do with fulfilling your life's purpose.

Just because we don't have a million degrees in psychotherapy, it doesn't mean we don't know how to listen. Just because we don't have a PhD, doesn't mean we don't know how to heal. And just because I've never written a book, doesn't mean I'm not a writer.

I am a listener, and a healer and a writer - and all of these things will somehow find a home in my life - so that I may fulfill a greater purpose.

I guess I just wish I knew what that purpose was...

Slowly I'm starting to get the picture of what the next few years will bring. Along with starting a family, I am planning on starting on that book. You know, the one that's lived in my head for 10 years - yeah, you've got one too, I bet. Time to let it out, let it breathe. Because I'll never know how good it is until I write it.

2 comments:

draagonfly said...

It's like I'm reading my own thoughts here. LOL Whoever figures this stuff out first has to promise to let the other one in on the secret! :)

Diana said...

Promise!