Thursday, August 9, 2007

Fear

I know I wrote earlier about the shadow self and coming to terms with your subconscious and unconscious self. I think a lot of us don't or won't out of fear.

Where the fear, there is your task! - C.G. Jung


A friend of mine who took his own life explained it thusly: "Fear is insidious. It sucks you in..." meaning, it takes over slowly, gradually, subtly.. until all you are is a collection of fears - and you have nothing left to grab onto - you're completely sucked in.

Every time I find myself afraid of something - whether it's an external thing or a change that's about to take place, I think of those words, that little nugget of wisdom and I endeavour to not let myself go there.

Of course fear is inevitable. It reminds us that we're alive - it can point out where we've allowed ourselves to stagnate or grow too comfortable. It can invoke change, progress.

BUT...

Fear also retards the mind, blinds us from new insight, keeps us shackled to old patterns and negative influences.

It also creates monsters among us. See case point.

No comments: