Monday, August 20, 2007

Love Is In the Air


You'll have to forgive what promises to be an equally sappy and scattered entry as my mind is split a million different ways, what with my getting married in less than a week and all.

I wanted to talk about the other side and it's connection to love.

No doubt we all have questions, concerns even, over the fate of loved ones who've passed on. Where do they go? Is there a heaven? Is there a hell? Or do they recycle? Will they come back and see me? Do they watch over me? Do they still love us?

I've written before about the huge transformation that happened to me as a result of my close friend's death two years ago. But the greatest gift it gave me was a little bit of comfort about the nature of life after death.

Because I do believe we live on - in one form or another... And we retain the best of ourselves, the part of you that does not fear or doubt or worry. The part that does not know anger. The part that does not hold grudges or resent, or envy. It just is. And it is just love. That's all we take with us. Love.

I've been very fortunate to have met a very talented medium, a suburban mom of three, who drives a minivan and packs her kids lunches is also extremely tuned in to the other side. Her experiences would convince the most hardened skeptic, but she's not out to convert anyone or convince anyone. She just kind of does readings to pay some bills.

Through my many conversations with her, I've glimpsed just a slice of what goes on there. And it's not exactly what you might think.

For one, my friend - who committed suicide - was not in hell or anything remotely like it. And I know you've all wondered, who hasn't. Because at the heart of religion is just a lot of people showing up every week 'just in case' the church is right about sin and repentance and stuff. And a lot of us (myself included at the time of my friend's death) silently wonder how much the church and the bible got right... Including that little part about where suicides go when they die.

But I'm here to vouch for the fact that my friend is fine. He's hanging out on the other side, taking in some lessons, learning from all of his lives, taking stock of things and preparing for his next shift. And he still loves us - he still cares about the little things, like who his sister is dating and how his mother is coping. And he even cares that I'm tying the knot.

In fact, I know he'll be at my wedding on Saturday. I intend to say hello.

If I had to guess I'd say we're all divine. We're all little pieces of God. Because in my perfect universe, God is love. Nothing more. Nothing less.

To be in love, to love someone unconditionally makes you just a little more divine, doesn't it...

No comments: