Monday, August 6, 2007

Green eggs and ham?


If Santa Claus were to close up shop, move to Toronto and become a labourer, I now have the exact mental image of what he would look like, thanks to today's streetcar sojourn. A man got on the streetcar, white hair flowing halfway down his back, with a beard to match. He was also clad entirely in red. His running shoes, socks, shirt, baseball cap, duffel bag - everything red. He even wore a red watch with a pink face. The only thing he wore that was not red was a pair of white hiking shorts. I'd like to thank him, because not only did he make me smile, but he inspired more thought about our personal power colours. Clearly this man loved red. LOVED red. I suppose he was probably a very passionate man... or a very angry one.

I always used to love red. It was my power colour for a good period of time. Especially, I found, when I was in school. Red is often the colour of passion and it makes sense that it attracted me at a time when I was all about pursuing passion.

These days I find red too energetic. I'm much more interested in soothing colours like aquamarine, purple and earth tones. But that's probably just because I'm able to relax much more deeply than I could six years ago.

My roommate in first year university was intensely fond of two colours - and everything she wore, every piece of furniture, every toy was one or both colours. I loved that about her. Orange and blue. Orange and blue. A strange and wonderful duo. These days I rarely see her in anything other than black except for her wedding, in which she wore a vibrant red gown. I imagine she, like me, grew into another colour as she moved into another phase of her life.

Forgive me, because I'm starting to sound like a theorist... but I keep wanting to bring it back into my music and notes idea. What if colours also carried a tune. Red might be an intense Dminor chord, Yellow would be a happy and cheerful A chord. Black would be something powerful and unmoving, like an F or an F# ... and we are all just looking for that colour, that chord that will inspire us to do our next great thing. We're looking for that killer soundtrack to our life.

I think I need to go shopping for a cooling colour - because it's bloody hot in my apartment right now.

No comments: