Friday, August 3, 2007

Mindbody

It's one of those things that we all know intuitively, but never talk about. The mind-body connection.

I've recently taken up Bikram Yoga, a rather challenging form of yoga which involves 26 postures to be completed in a room heated to roughly 42 degrees or 107 Fahrenheit. One of the final poses is, I find, the most challenging. It's a very simple back bend, done while standing on your knees. It's designed to open the chest and the heart chakra. They call it the Camel. I call it my nemesis. It occurs roughly 80 minutes into the class, and it's known to trigger the 'fight or flight' response.

The first time I did that posture I cried. Just a few tears, but it was shocking enough. The second time I did it I felt like I was going to throw up, and as I pushed through it, a tingling sensation crept over my whole chest - a very strange sensation I can't describe accurately. I have done this pose now over a dozen times with varying results. The tingling one being the most common side-effect.

The last time I did it, however, was interesting to me, because the minute the instructor announced Camel to be the next posture, the tingling sensation began. I hadn't even done the posture. The very thought of this next posture invoked the same reaction in my body as if I had actually done it.

It reminded me of a recent study of brain development I read about - people who visualized themselves playing chess, or doing complicated math equations formed the same neural pathways as the people who were actually doing those things. What does this mean?

Could I do my yoga asanas (postures) entirely in my mind with the same benefits? No, probably not... BUT it does serve as a powerful reminder of just how connected the brain and the body are.

Those of us who are stressed out all the time aren't doing ourselves (or our bodies) any favours. As we continue to repress, internalize and deny ourselves our emotions, all we're doing is forcing them to retreat somewhere into the body where they become ulcers, or fat deposits, or tumors.

So let's visualize ourselves completely relaxed, calm and able to take on the day's stresses in stride. And I'll work on visualizing myself getting through that damned Camel posture.


UPDATE: Just finished what I would easily consider my BEST yoga class EVER. Not only did I do Camel... I did it further and with more ease than I ever thought possible. The trick? I saw myself doing it with ease just seconds before I actually did it. I always say the proof is in the pudding... (because I love handy cliches) and boy was there ever good puddin' today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After I read your post, I went and tried the position you wrote about and I could see why you cried the first time...

By the way, it's me Catherine!

John wants to know what's the purpose of the 107 degree heating....

Welcome back to the blogging world and congrats on your impending nuptials!!

Diana said...

The 107 degree heating is to detox and clean out the body - but it definitely helps warm up the body to allow for further stretching.

Bikram (the founder of the posture series) described it as putting spaghetti in a pot of boiling hot water - it's just easier to form that spaghetti when it's hot and wet.

p.s. So glad to be back to the blogging world.. and thank you for the well-wishes!!

Anonymous said...

I believe the tingling sensation you experienced could have been anxiety. Since it was near the end of your class you were pretty drained I assume and you were "worried" about correctly executing the big finishing move. When you have anxiety your chest muscles tighten up, and it feels like something you have never felt before.

On the other note about visioning. I use it and it works extremely well. I am a believer. Anytime I visualize what I want to do, it makes it so much easier when I am doing it, feels like I have done it before.

Give it a try the next time you are planning on doing something that is difficult to do.

If anything, it's a great planning tool.

Unknown said...

Everytime you take my class and camel is approaching, i get shivers and know it's coming from you and many others who are sensing anxiety before the posture.. as i mention in class going beyond your treshold in the posture through breath and intent brings you to a whole other realm of being! you're on the right track lovely! yogi love.. g

Diana said...

Thanks Gloria. You rock my camel world.

:)