Friday, November 23, 2007

Memory Backwards...


I love stories of synchronicity... so here's one for you.

I'm at this folk/rock concert seeing my favourite lil Scottish troubadour in a large warehouse filled with 600+ bodies. My lil folk singer, halfway through the set, introduces her next song by telling us how it came to be.

She read this piece in a magazine, a Vancouver-based arts rag - and it moved her so much that she contacted the author to ask permission to use parts of it in a song. The man she contacted was thrilled, told her that he had in fact been working on another piece, a screenplay, based on that work and that she had come around at the perfect time - "help me finish it" he said. She gladly obliged and wrote a beautifully melancholy song that shared the piece's title.

Fast track to a yesterday, nearly a year later - said artiste is now on tour promoting her new album, which features the melancholy song I spoke of. I have been listening to it constantly - and know every word. I attend the concert. The chanteuse introduces the song and suddenly I realize what's happening. The man she's speaking of is not just "some writer" - he is my old mentor and university instructor from my school days on the other side of the country. I haven't seen this man in 4 years, but have thought about him constantly and have been meaning to email him. Voila - he's been brought to me!

So I find him in the crowd and head over to catch up.

I have no words for how great I think these moments are - when the universe reminds you that it's not as big as it seems and that we're all connected.

Love it!

No comments: