Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What Bakes My Noodle

One of my favourite parts of The Matrix is when Neo (Keanu Reeves) goes to see the oracle.
Oracle: I'd ask you to sit down, but, you're not going to anyway. And don't worry about the vase.
Neo: What vase?
[Neo turns to look for a vase, and as he does, he knocks over a vase of flowers, which shatters on the floor.]
Oracle: That vase.
Neo: I'm sorry--
Oracle: I said don't worry about it. I'll get one of my kids to fix it.
Neo: How did you know?
Oracle: Ohh, what's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn't said anything?


And so it is with psychics. One can never entirely get around the fact that the very act of getting guidance might change your course.

Case in point: the house my husband and I just bought.

I called my psychic a week ago for help with the house-hunting. She described a yellow-brick bungalow on a hill, with hardwood floors throughout.

We bought a yellow-brick bungalow on a hill, with hardwood floors throughout.

Now. I would love to say that I would have picked it regardless of whether or not I had had that reading... but the fact of the matter is that I can't know that for sure. Just like Neo can never know if he would have shattered that vase if the oracle hadn't mentioned it and he hadn't turned to see what she was referring to.

But all I know is that for those of us who happen to have psychics we trust, or guides of any kind, in this world or the other, the fact is that they are a part of our path. I think they're in the equation already.

That is to say, I was always going to buy that house, because I was always slated to talk to Angie first.

But it's still fun to wonder about these sorts of things. I like paradoxes. The universe wouldn't be much fun without them.

If you haven't seen the Matrix - the clip is below.

No comments: