Saturday, September 29, 2007

Cycles


I'm sure not the right person to talk about cycles, seeing as I know much less about them than my brilliant father who is currently cracking the code to the universe using cycles. But one thing I do know about cycles is that they're a reassuring part of life.

For instance, this last week has been something of a low point, admittedly. But just like the Death card in the tarot - these low points, where you think you're going to die are just changing points. You let go of something, perhaps some long held belief or a crutch, whatever it is, through the process of grieving and then you're free to change in a new way. The tarot describes it as "the idea of putrefaction, the rotting fermentation in the alchemical process, which - just like humus - is the prerequisite and basis for new life or for a new push in development."

Basically, that which decomposes during the crisis also becomes the compost which enriches the coming growth. And there's your cycle. It's the most natural cycle on earth.

My very wise and beautiful yogi friend made a comment that validated this sentiment completely (and also inspired this entry - thanks G). She said, "Being stuck is a beautiful thing, especially right about when you feel like you cannot breathe! It is at this moment that where you can assure yourself that relief, answers and "aha" moments will appear.. Through my own experiences in my spiritual journey, the more "stuck" you are the closer you become to your "truth"."

I think somebody needs to give this woman a blog so I can read it!

All of this to say that I can feel the new buds pushing through the soil now, slowly but surely. And I feel things are starting to return to a sense of normalcy. Just last night, after a very confident and strong yoga class, I was overwhelmed by the sense that everything really was going to be okay. And I know it sounds stupid, but I needed to have that feeling back, because I had been having doubt.

What I said before about the reassuring nature of cycles was just that in your lowest moment, your moment of most despair, you just know that it's going back up. And I think it reminds you (I'll try to remember) that when you're flying high in the cycle, you should store up that strength, resolve and energy and save some for that rainy day on the horizon.

No comments: