Friday, September 28, 2007

Don't Worry...



Things are starting to look up. Nothing has actually changed, but I'm feeling a bit brighter. Maybe because it's Friday.

Actually, I think times like this are really important. They wake you up, force you to take your bearings, question if you're in the right place, question your choices and how you got there. And I sure have been doing a lot of that.

I came across this great article, which really spoke to me about the source of my problem. I am clearly taking on too much at once.

The author of that article talks about how to get out of a slump - and one of the ways is to recognize that you might be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of necessary changes that it's just easier to stay put. Or as I might have said yesterday - stuck.

But I need to start thinking about smaller improvements I can make until the bigger things sort themselves out. Maybe the first one is to make a promise to myself to not take things so seriously, and to forgive myself for not having all the answers right now. Because maybe at the heart of it, I'm just pissed off at being lost. I'm usually so certain of everything.

It's a pretty big lesson for me - learning to be kind to myself. I'm by far my own worst critic, and when the voices strike up, they usually don't fight fairly. Why is that? They dig deep - not just "you'll fail at this", no... It's much dirtier - "you never succeed at anything, nobody likes you, you'll never find something that makes you happy", etc.

I hate that little critic in my brain. It sucks.

I should treat life more like I treat my yoga classes. I go in there thinking "do the best you can, do it with honour and integrity and forgive yourself if you need to take a break". That's the little mantra I tell myself before class.

And now I'm going to do as I'm told and forgive myself for needing a break. A break from being such an insufferable know-it-all. ;)

No comments: