Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Vague Zodiac Webs

Sorry for not posting yesterday - since it was Thanksgiving here in Canada, I took the long weekend to do some much needed cleaning, knitting and video-game playing. Three cheers for down time!

I'm actually looking for a good online horoscope service - any favourites? The guy I usually read is getting horribly, horribly vague. Starting to think he's been replaced with a computer program.

I'm still not sure where I stand on horoscopes and astrology in general. I have a love hate thing happening. On one hand I completely buy the theory that if you're a little soul about to be born into the world, you would choose things like what planets, alignments, etc. you'd want to be born under... After all, the celestial bodies have a ton of influence on us.



But on the other hand, I think there's so much more to us than the day we were born on. Life intervenes, grabs hold, gives us particular quirks and ticks we weren't born with. We're not all the purest forms of ourselves anymore. We've changed, grown...

That being said, I'm a dabbler in all things - and I dabble in the zodiacal arts. In particular, I love the combination of Western and Chinese Zodiac... Because it's an added layer of complexity on something that often proves a bit too simplistic. You're not just a Taurus, you're a Taurus Rooster (and by "you" I mean "me").

But I don't think enough is said about the spectrum within any given sign. Is it just me or is there quite a different between the early Piscean or the late one? I have known my fair share of Taureans - and I have most in common with the ones whose birthdays are early in the sign (ie. Late April) versus the ones who were born late in the sign (Early-mid May).

This is where I find the zodiac fails - because it casts too wide a net - it's catching the tuna AND the dolphins. I don't think those of us born late April are the same as those mid-May. I think there may be similar qualities to us, but they present themselves or manifest in different ways.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I would love to see an astrologer boldly divide the horoscope into 24 signs. Two for each sign. And take a shot at that. Sure, it's twice the work, but it dares to be only half as vague, right?

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

This is going to sound kind of flippant, but I view an astrology readings like I view a good haircut/color--to achieve the best results for both, you have to pay for a really good one. Having a friend do your chart, or doing a chart from an online generator may tell you some things about how the planets and starts affect your outlook, but having your chart done by someone amazing who knows a lot about astrology (and the differences between people born early in the sign and later) is a truly amazing experience.

I've actually been craving another one since my has been changing so much lately. I'll have to save my pennies :D

Diana said...

I know - whenever my life gets up in a roar, I immediately call my psychic. And, like you said, there's really no substituting for the real deal... when it comes down to it, you have to pay for the good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Hi Diana

Great blog -- just discovered! Actually each astrological sign is divided into three decanates -- I'm sure there must be astrologers out there who take that into account.

I use www.astrodienst.com for online stuff: it's computer-based, but based on your exact birth data and written by Robert Hand and Liz Greene, two very insightful astrologers. And it's free!

Looking forward to more from you!

Joann

Diana said...

Hi Joann!

Thanks so much for the recommendation - so far so good!

And thanks for popping by :)
Diana

Anonymous said...

I just checked Taurus for you: the first ten degrees are under the influence of Venus; eleven through twenty are under Mercury; and twenty-one through thirty are under Saturn.

And to judge by your hugging post today, you would be most comfortable with those first ten degrees!

Diana said...

Now that I think about it - I am feeling very much under the influence of Venus right now :)