Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Beginning of the End?

Maybe it's because I've been feeling slightly nihilistic while contemplating the impossible real estate market of Toronto - but I've been surrounded lately by all kinds of doomsday talk lately. It seems to be either following me, or it has officially snuck its way into the zeitgeist.

Whether it's talk of economic ruin, or global warming melting ice caps and causing more volcanic activity... or the fact that the country that torments Tibet now controls the weather... I'm starting to feel a bit of the sense that the future really is a bit ... fucked?

And on one hand I know that we, as the type of entities that we are, will outlive the planet's destruction, probably in our other form (non-physical)... but on the other... What does it say about us as a species that we can do this to our home? What is being accomplished? What are we really learning?

History repeats itself. This is not a cliché . It's a fact. But why? Aren't we better than that?

So here's where my big theory about the universe melts down. If we are indeed advanced spiritual beings - as I believe we are - what's the deal with the lack of big picture learning? What's with the destructiveness? Or is this part of a bigger learning curve? Are we pushing boundaries to see if we will rise to the occasion or if we will fall? Are we testing ourselves and our "humanity"?

Whatever it is, I'm desperately trying to feel optimistic. We'll find an alternative to fossil fuels, right? We'll curb global warming before water levels eat up the coasts... right? Right?????

LOL. Maybe I should stick to worrying about real estate.

No comments: