Friday, April 11, 2008

That's A Lot of Labels

I was waiting for the elevator, on my way up to my office this morning when a guy from my floor approached. He's from my neighbouring office and he and I see each other often. We usually make small talk in the elevator. He's got a good sense of humour and it's fun to banter with him.

So I pulled out my earbuds and starting stowing my fancy iPod when he commented on it. I laughed, said I was a big of a tekkie. He nodded appreciatively. I continued (why? I don't know) to say that I was a fan of gadgets - I believe I may have even used the term "gadget-lover" and then went on to say that I was also an avid gamer. Not sure why I felt the need to disclose...

His response? "That's a lot of labels."

Jesus. He was so right. It took all of two seconds for him to figure me out.

Let this be a reminder to me that the greatest spiritual teachers come from the most unexpected places  .. and today's lesson was "stop labeling yourself - because you are infinite".






Blogged with the Flock Browser

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL This is AWESOME!!!!

It reminds me of an ephiphany I had last Fall....

Since 5th grade, when one of my teachers told me that one day she would see one of my books on the shelf, I have called myself a 'writer'.

I'm now 51 :)

Well, I went through some significant changes last year and one of them came about when I asked myself the question, "What would you feel...HOW would you feel..if you just dropped the whole "writer" thing?"

In a word: FREEDOM!! Like shackles falling off my ankles....

hum...and I write more than ever, only now, not as a 'writer', but as a spirit, who writes ;)

GREAT POST

Diana said...

Thanks Grace!

I completely know what you mean about calling oneself a "writer". And you're absolutely right. Labels = shackles. I would do much better to remember that next time I reach out for one ;)

draagonfly said...

WOW. Hit with a brick of clarity in the elevator - that's rough! LOL I've been reading the New Earth book by Tolle and it was just going on about labels there too. I've consciously fought against religious labels my whole life, but all those other labels I see in a new light now. :) Thanks for sharing!

Diana said...

Isn't the universe amazing like that? Just when you think you're so enlightened and thinking positive thoughts and being in the moment and attracting good things... someone comes along to show you "yeah honey, you still got some things to work on".

I love it.