Thursday, April 24, 2008

Clairvoyants, Psychics and Hacks - Oh My!

Back from my holiday but not quite in the swing of things just yet. I promise to get back into the habit of thinking deeply and blogging about interesting things shortly.

In the meantime, I am getting excited about this weekend - mostly because of my annual present to myself... a psychic reading from my good friend Angie Aristone. She's a wonderful woman who always points me in the right direction... or at least to the right book (and sometimes that's all you need).

If there's anyone reading this who hasn't ever had a reading by a legitimate medium/clairvoyant, I highly recommend it. That being said, I fear that for every legitimate one there are ten hacks waiting to take your money. I have personally had some hilarious readings by the worst kinds of hacks (mostly at psychic fairs, which bring them out in droves).

How to tell a hack from a real psychic... (in my humblest opinion)

1) Hacks use props. Now... I will say that tarot cards are great tools, and sometimes necessary for beginners and those trying to tap into their intuitive powers for the first time but experienced, gifted psychics would probably see them as a crutch. Same goes for crystal balls (oh god), pendulums, candles, ouija or any other kind of physical tool. The best psychics I've come across don't use anything except maybe a tape recorder, for your benefit.

2) Hacks will bombard you with "proof" of their gift. Call it massive overcompensation, a hack will feel compelled to tell you just how good they are - they may have testimonials by the truck load, celebrity endorsements or my personal favourite - pictures of their aura. All of this will undoubtedly PROVE that they are talented and that you should pay them more money. Personally, every celebrity-endorsed psychic I've ever gone to (there have been a few) has been completely and utterly full of $#^&.

3) Hacks charge by the minute and/or can be found in the yellow pages. Please. A good psychic rarely needs to advertise. The few ones I know have a very steady client base and months waiting lists. They don't need psychic fairs or midnight television ads to drum up business. Want a good psychic? Get a referral from someone you trust. Word of mouth generally yields the best candidates.

4) Hacks ask a lot of questions. Don't get me wrong... there's no fault in trying to clarify something. From time to time Angie may get an image or in some instances a full-blown movie playing in her head. She'll describe it, in vivid detail... and may ask something like - is that your grandfather or uncle? But it's a far cry from general questions some "psychics" ask like "did you recently finish some kind of schooling or take some classes?" ... questions like these apply to almost everyone in their 20s - and are easy fishing techniques to get info off of you. A good psychic should give you validations, not ask for them.


All in all it may be hard for some to find a psychic they trust. But talking with the other side or getting clues about future events is a real thrill. Everything, of course, should always be taken with a grain of salt, because let's not forget we all have free will - and psychics can only tell you what is most probable to happen.

That being said, I can't wait to find out what my next couple of years will probably yield.

3 comments:

draagonfly said...

Wow, we really do travel a similar path, don't we? Freaky. :) I read that you were on vacation so I hadn't checked your blog in a few days, but I just wrote last night about feeling an urge lately to go have a tarot reading or something. The reason I haven't is because SO many "psychics" ARE hacks and right now I don't have a lot of disposable cash to weed out a good one. I figured if I really needed to hear something from the universe I would run into someone that gives me a recommendation I trust. (Which hasn't happened yet, unless your friend does long distance stuff!)

Plus, like you said (and I'm so glad you said it), the info you receive even from a good psychic is only valid as long as you keep traveling the same path as when you receive the information. Free will often changes things dramatically.

Hope your vacation was fantastic and put you back in touch with Everything!

Diana said...

draagonfly - I'm so glad my words came at the right time for you. For a while my father found that my blog was consistently addressing the issues he was facing - or yielded clues to help him out of specific blockages. Now it seems I'm doing the same for you, which is awesome. Your blog does the same for me :)

Glad to be back!
Diana

Anonymous said...

Having someone so spiritually intune that you can talk to is a real blessing :) I have a gal that I go to see a few times a year, and she's been so helpful to me.

I giggled when I read your "Hack Warning List"... Just about an hour ago I removed the link I had put on my "readings" page which led people back to some of the (spontaneous and unsolicited) feedback I had received from some free readings I did. For me, it wasn't a heavy ego thing so much as I was attempting to build faith in the potential readee. (is that a word? LOL) See, I consider my card readings an energy exchange (same with the Reiki work I do), and I believe that 'faith' is such a positive energy boost for taping some of that information. It's like an opening :)

But I totally get what you're saying. It's like that old cliche that used to annoy me so much, "If you've got it, flaunt it!"

I (always) replied, "Hey, if you REALLY got it, no flaunting is needed!" :)

Namaste!